• Welcome to the most helpful Affiliate Marketing Forum. Join us! CLICK HERE for our membership options.
  • POWER HOUR: 🚀💰 Master MULTI-CHANNEL Magic to Earn RECURRING Monthly Income! 💸🔥" Join Us! CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS
  • 📊 Latest Follow Along - $10,000 a Month Website Case Study 💡 Join the Discussion

Follow Along when to switch keyword type in adwords?

optimizepress

stancool2003

Reaction score
Hey Guys good to be here. My name is Stanley I just joined this course and have been going through the tutorials but i have a few questions.

1. How many broad keywords at least should you start with when setting your ads in Google? when to switch keyword type in AdWords, Or can you leave keywords on broad permanently?

2. Also can you have the same keyword set at exact match type and then at phrase match also?

3. Finally if you set your keywords to be exact or phrase match. How many keywords should you have at least in an ad group?

Thanks all

joeybabbs

Affiliate Marketing Coach
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Guys good to be here. My name is Stanley I just joined this course and have been going through the tutorials but i have a few questions.

1. How many broad keywords at least should you start with when setting your ads in Google? when to switch keyword type in AdWords, Or can you leave keywords on broad permanently?

2. Also can you have the same keyword set at exact match type and then at phrase match also?

3. Finally if you set your keywords to be exact or phrase match. How many keywords should you have at least in an ad group?

Thanks all

There will likely be varying answers to this but here is my take...

1. This highly depends on other factors like budget, niche, amount of research conducted, etc. Generally, starting broad assumes you have a larger test budget...and you are ok in giving Google the capability to expand away from traditional "Keyword" targeting. With no conversion data in your account, it will take more time and money to get results. In the testing phase, I typically keep the number of keywords per ad group around 20-50 - but I am more inclined to do more research and try to save as much as possible when testing. It just takes longer.

2. I have done this, yes, and it seems to work fine. Sometimes, it doesn't. Again, it really depends on search intent. Broad and phrase allow Google to move around and test different intent, while exact is more narrow in its focus.

3. I have a campaign that has made about $1500 USD Profit a month since December with 2 Keywords. So, really, it doesn't matter how few keywords you have. It just means there might be more opportunity to scale. You really need to do some solid research or brand bidding, though, if you go with 2 keywords.

stancool2003

Reaction score
There will likely be varying answers to this but here is my take...

1. This highly depends on other factors like budget, niche, amount of research conducted, etc. Generally, starting broad assumes you have a larger test budget...and you are ok in giving Google the capability to expand away from traditional "Keyword" targeting. With no conversion data in your account, it will take more time and money to get results. In the testing phase, I typically keep the number of keywords per ad group around 20-50 - but I am more inclined to do more research and try to save as much as possible when testing. It just takes longer.

2. I have done this, yes, and it seems to work fine. Sometimes, it doesn't. Again, it really depends on search intent. Broad and phrase allow Google to move around and test different intent, while exact is more narrow in its focus.

3. I have a campaign that has made about $1500 USD Profit a month since December with 2 Keywords. So, really, it doesn't matter how few keywords you have. It just means there might be more opportunity to scale. You really need to do some solid research or brand bidding, though, if you go with 2 keywords.
Thanks for the answer>
so what you are saying if i understand you properly is that you go broad when starting a new ad with 20-50 keywords to gather data to feed back to Google.

So after this phase when do you go exact or phrase match?????

Also is it the keywords that the searcher used on Google that triggered your ads to show up that you will set up in a separate Adgroup as phrase or exact match keywords?????

Thanks Again!!!

joeybabbs

Affiliate Marketing Coach
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't always start broad, but the majority of the time yes I do. If I transition from broad to more specific match I have gathered enough data to identify which keywords are performing well. (higher conversion rates, lower cost-per-acquisition etc).

Yes "Search Terms" report in your Google Ads account shows what users actually typed into Google before they clicked on your ads. This can be excellent information for finding new keywords to add into your campaign ad exact or phrase.

Newest Resources

Sponsors

semrush